Statement of Equality
West Drayton Academy welcomes our duties under the 2010 Equality Act to:
Eliminate discrimination, harassment and victimisation;
Advance equality of opportunity; and,
Foster good relations; in relation to age (for adults), disability, gender, gender identity/reassignment, marriage/civil partnership (for discrimination), pregnancy/maternity, race (including ethnicity, colour or national origin), religion or belief, and sexual orientation.
In fulfilling these duties we are guided by nine principles:
1. All our learners, parents/carers, governors and staff are of equal value;
2. We recognise and respect difference and understand that treating people equally does not necessarily involve treating them all the same, as different people have different needs;
3. We foster positive attitudes and relationships, and a shared sense of belonging;
4. We observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development;
5. We actively work to reduce and remove inequalities and barriers that already exist;
6. We consult and involve widely to ensure that those who are affected by our policies and activities are involved in the design of our work;
7. We intend that our policies and activities should benefit society as a whole, both locally and nationally, by fostering greater social cohesion and participation in public life;
8. As required by the Act, we base our practices on sound evidence and openness about the issues that face us – we maintain and publish information to show how we are meeting our duties and about our progress towards greater equality; and,
9. As required by the Act, we publish equality objectives, based on the evidence we have collected and the engagement with people from different groups, also taking into account national and local priorities and issues.
We ensure the nine principles listed above apply to the full range of our policies and practices. We keep each curriculum subject or area under review in order to ensure that teaching and learning reflect the nine principles.
School policies cover every aspect of school life. Below are some of our most important policies for your reference. If you want to know our policy on something that is not listed, please ask the school office.